Thursday 14 December 2017

Opening my 2017 Happiness Jar

Sometime in December 2016, I saw this post on Facebook that a friend shared of a Happiness Jar. The challenge was to put a penny/coin/money in a jar/piggy bank each time we felt happy, then open it at the end of the year and celebrate with however much money we've saved. 
Instead of putting in a coin, I decided to jot down happy memories on a piece of paper and fold it into the box...then read them all at the end of the year. 

I couldn't find a jar, so I got found an old box, covered it with some recycled gift wrapping paper and made an opening for my little notes. I also placed an inspiring quotation on top (it has faded though). What's written is "Let each morn be better than its eve and each morrow richer than its yesterday". -Bahá'u'lláh


These notes don't account for all the times I jubilated; I don't think we can keep track of all those moments we smiled/laughed our hearts out! I just had the box on top of my desk the entire year, and decided that whenever I experienced something really happy/wonderful and felt like I want to keep that memory forever and ever, I should just note it down. Sort of like a diary. But a happy one!

Apparently January and June had the most number of notes, and the last three months had the least! I can't share ALL the notes here because that would make this blog verrryyy long (and also some notes are extremely personal) so I've decided to just pick one note per month!
Here are my (top) monthly picks: 

January
1st - Safe/no one hurt from our car accident on the way back from Tarlac. 


February 
23rd - My Ayyamiha blog got 600+ reads within 6 hours! So many people wrote to me that they found it very helpful!

March 
6th - I bought my domain name! blogspot.com is now www.farzaneology.com !!

April 
5th - My boss has started calling me their new "environmental activist". I finally feel in my element!

May 
24th - A colleague just told me that she reads my blog and found out I'm a Bahá'i and wants to know more because she's heard about the Faith through Justin Baldoni! Go famous Bahá'is!

*I found 8 notes my brother sneaked into my box! The 5th note one says: "May 20, 2017. 2:35am. I am putting this in right now as you are still sleeping. LMAO I should take a picture. You look so weird when you sleep. Ha ha ha"*

June
10th - fun animators gathering. BOC role play, confirmation at Muñoz street, quotation chant in 15 minutes. Learnt a lot too! ---(more details here)

12th - So happy for Josef Q. He was very inspired by our animators gathering the other day and then today he started his first Junior Youth group (with Shaiva/Ardil in Valenzuela). So happy for them!

July 
16th - Made my first bicentenary trailer at the Bahá'i center. Shot, edited and published on the same day and it has already gone viral! ---(watch trailer here) 

August
23rd - Didn't go to work. Stayed at home. Dad taught me how to make kimchi! Family time <3

September 
26th - 'Fun for the Fund' fundraising last Sunday at the Bahá'i Center. Dad's crazy penalties!

October
7th - Mom & Dad's 25th/silver anniversary dinner

22nd - What a week! Bicentenary weekend. 2 Manila, 1 Parañaque, 1 Makati + OEA/OPD photos coordination. We made history! ---(more details here)

December 
3- Zambales getaway. Great conversations on the beach. Yey to new friends!

***
I had a good laugh going through all my notes. It felt like I was reading a 13-year old's diary. This is also how short everything was written; I only jotted down a few words so that when I read them again, I'd have to try to remember/re-live the memories. Based solely on my notes, it seems that what made me the happiest this year were when the four of us in my family were complete and when my blogs/videos did well! Going through this made me really reflect on how I spent my time this year and think about what really gave/gives me joy so that I can continue to do those things. 

Although I am a bit concerned that I have nothing written for November. It wasn't a sad month at all; in fact it was just last month and I can remember so many happy occasions (I even remember the date November 16th!). Why didn't I write those things down? Did I forget to write? Or perhaps those happy moments weren't big enough for me to consider them happy or memorable. This really got me thinking... did I overlook the little things and only set my eyes on the big things? Scary enough, I didn't have any blog entry in November either! Hmm... this is all so mysterious 😕

Anyways, moving on! I've emptied the box and I plan to do fill it up again this 2018! In a few weeks, everyone around the world will be wishing each other a "Happy New Year" so I guess it's safe to say everyone is truly  wants a "Happy" new year. Go find your happiness, go make your happiness, go share your happiness! This Happiness Jar project has enabled me to re-evaluate my definition or understanding of happiness. It's more than just smiles and laughs; it's about spiritual peace and fulfilment...and more often than not, it has been about "others" more than just myself. Go try it! Or if you have other similar ideas/projects you'd like me  to try this 2018, write to me through the message box on the left side of my page!