Tuesday 18 July 2017

Abuja's #BossLadies

It's been exactly a year since I organized those two bazaars on our rooftop. Facebook reminded me through a throwback photo suggestion. In case you haven't yet heard about the Rooftop Bazaars last year, you can check my other blog post here → "How the Bazaar got on the Rooftop".

Today's post is dedicated to sharing with you my favorite part of the Bazaar experience last year - meeting some of the most creative and hardworking women entrepreneurs (LadyBosses) in Abuja.

Asah-Bara
I've written about Xoxa before (Click here). But she is more than just her mugs. Xoxa is also about her hair (how many women can rock a flower on their hair every day?!) She's also about her clothes. You think her mugs are too colorful? Wait til you see how she dresses! She's one of the few people I know who is bold enough to wear all the colors and prints... which just shows that her creativity flows through every single thing she does. Her mugs are basically an extension of her body, and that's why the spirit of Asah Bara is in everything she creates! Xoxa's mugs are professional models -- check out her instagram page -- to see how she brings her mugs to life through artistic photography, such that her photos make you want to buy a mug not just because you need one but because they're really beautiful!




TapsJuwel
How does Tapsoba manage to make beaded necklaces, earrings, throw pillows, purses, furniture, window frames when she has three young kids?! Well, she brings her kids to the bazaars too! Seeing Tapsoba at our two Bazaars, with her kids sitting beside her as she sold her beautiful hand-made works, reminded me so much of my parents - and how they would always bring my brother and I to the bazaars and exhibitions they participated in all over Nigeria. Growing up with these experiences really created in me a strong appreciation for my parents' work. Seeing how hard working they were and continue to be always inspires me to be the same. So it was really nice seeing how Tapsoba involves her kids...she's such a super Mom, balancing family life with her business. Follow her on Instagram.
Tapsjuwel (from Burkina Faso) at our Rooftop Bazaar 2016

Magdalena Cornford
Magdalena is an artist from Poland - she has two little boys, and she's in Nigeria because of her husband's work. So what does she make? Surprisingly, she makes Nigerian art! Over the years she has really immersed herself in the local culture. She's in love with African beads...she very often goes to Nigerian handicraft villages so buy strings of beads/stones. She also paints (she's a graphic designer -she designs post cards, wall frames, etc), and makes lots of other little things like key chains and dream catchers. What I admire about Magdalena is that she doesn't just wait to Bazaars to happen/and attend...she also makes Bazaars happen! Second thing I really admire is that she is an artist with a cause. Last Christmas when she traveled back to Poland, she held an exhibition for her necklaces, and the purpose was to raise funds to buy rice & water for children in Nassarawa state. She doesn't keep her talents to herself - on weekends you'll find her spending time with friends and children, teaching them some arts & crafts too! Follow her Instagram:


Clever Kitchen
Yes, I'm including Clever Kitchen here because food is an art too! On the day of our second bazaar, Clever Kitchen brought a mini fridge up three flights of stairs to our rooftop. It was filled with colorful bottles of healthy juices - fruit/veggie blends. I was really surprised to see this, because in Nigeria the most juice you can find is Ribena and 5Alive (haha), but before the day was over, they were sold out! Luckily, I got my hand on a carrot-ginger drink and it was divine! The ginger was strong, the carrot was sweet - it was so refreshing! They brought a few baked goodies which also sold out fast. They didn't bring their popular salads, but I always see them on their social media page, and that's what I really admire about Clever Kitchen...they know how to cleverly use social media! They constantly post photos of their satisfied customers (even children!) enjoying their healthy snacks, and they also share posts about health benefits (nutrition content) of this and that. They're very present online and that's super important for entrepreneurs today. Follow them on Instagram.
Clever Kitchen at our Rooftop Bazaar 2016

Deola Shay Faari
I met Deola at another Bazaar in Gwarinpa, a few days before our first. Like I said on the other blog, we'd normally go to different bazaars around town to contact vendors. My first impression of Deola was she was very jolly, friendly and so cute! as she welcomed us to her stall. I didn't think she was the owner because she looked so young! It wasn't until the end, when she gave us her calling card that I learnt her name was Deola and then saw on the slippers being sold the name Deola Shay Faari that I realized she's the designer and the owner! I later learnt that Deola is based in Lagos...she once had a job at a bank but gave it up to become a full-time artist. She travels to Abuja many times a year with several Ghana bags with her Ankara items whenever it's "Bazaar season". Talk about going the extra mile!! Deola and I became friends, and what's so amazing about her is that she is her own model -- she wears what she makes all the time! Look how she rocks her designs.

Follow her on Instagram
Deola Shay Faari at our Rooftop Bazaar 2016

and of course...
my Mother
During my early childhood years in Nigeria, even though my Dad was the one working while my Mom took care of my brother and I, I never saw my Mom idle. She was always making something - some sewing coveralls for construction workers; curtains for friends homes; beads on my plain dresses, to making wax and gel candles, to catering events an baking three-tier cakes for weddings...until she finally started an arts & crafts/home decor shop.

She owns a multi-award winning arts & crafts store
Nothing in our home is ever worth throwing away - she constantly thinks of 
ways to transform old to new/useless to useful.
 most recent examples - when she transformed worn out slippers,
and also turned wall candle stands to wall flower holders!
whenever my Mom hosts friends for dinner, it's a FEAST. She makes everything from soup,
main course to dessert all by herself...and never forgets the little details that bring a small space alive.  Second picture was when she organized dinner for friends on our rooftop in Abuja