Monday 5 June 2017

Celebrating the Earth: Part II

Link to Part I of celebrating the Earth - click here

We've all heard of World Environment Day, World Oceans Day, and International Forests Day. It's one thing to know; it's another thing to do. As students, we've gone on field trips to nature reserves; we’ve done marches and campaigns to raise awareness on certain environmental issues and we observe all international environment days through creative arts and crafts presentations. These are very commendable efforts, but how much environment-friendly activities are we doing in our daily lives, as adults? How much do we advocate on non-environmental days/events?

It's so easy for us to make presentations to school kids, but how about being a living example? I started making conscious effort to change my lifestyle only as recent as three years ago. Some new habits I formed:
  • This year, I invested in a glass water container and a food container - even though it's heavier to carry around, but at least it saves me the hassle of checking every plastic container for a 'microwave safe' sign before heating up my food. 
  •  I save every single empty tissue roll I consume (the brown part at the end). I've kept them for Junior Youth creative activities, and I've also created organizers on my table - for pens and wires... DIY is actually really fun
  • I probably shouldn't be mentioning this here - but almost every time I have to give someone a birthday gift, instead of buying them something from a shop, I look through my belongings - I have a couple of things that are still new/unused...I find some colored paper at home and wrap it up. It's a lot better giving them to someone who I know can make better use of it, than just keeping them locked up until they have to be thrown out. 
  • When I know the item I buy from a shop can fit into whatever bag I have on me, I refuse to accept it packed in a plastic bag; I just put it straight in my bag. 

These little new habits I've formed in the last few years made me feel confident enough to stand before some children and their parents just the other day (Monday - June 5) and talk about this poster I designed for World Environment Day. 
*fund fact: it took three of my colleagues to translate the words from English to Tagalog!



photo credit: Ednerick Angue

This year's theme for World Environment Day was "connect with nature". The global campaign called for people to explore the outdoors, appreciate its beauty and share photo with the hashtag #WithNature.

The photos I'll be sharing today are from my visit to a natural water spring in Solano, Nueva Vizcaya early last month - the Borobog water spring (the source of Bayombong's tap water). This was my very first time at a spring, seeing how water comes out of the earth and filters itself through the rocks. The water was so clean and clear, I even drank from the hose. Here are some photos of that experience