Sunday 2 October 2016

I have a su - I have a shi ... ugh... Su Shi!

And the third no-bake food I prepared for yesterday's occasion waaas a sushi cake! 

nah, just kidding. 

So I'm going to call it Kimbap instead of Sushi. That's because this is more of the Korean version than the Japanese. Difference? Sushi usually has raw fish (the most fish you're ever going to have in a Kimbap would be canned tuna). Kimbaps are also a lot simpler; Sushis are fafafannnccyy and more colorful! I know a lot goes into making the perfect rice, but for me the goal is just to make it sticky. When I was in Iran earlier this year, I made Kimbaps with long basmati grains. For 2 cups of rice I first used 3 cups of water, but while cooking I had to add in another 2 cups of water...in order to get that sticky, mushy texture in the end. 
you can always make it werk werk werk werk wek

Ingredients:  4 cups of Japanese rice (boiled in 5 cups of water), 15 sheets of seaweed paper, Korean chilli paste, pickled radish and burdocks, and (my fave) SPAM ham! 


Spread the rice all over the seaweed sheet. On one end I smeared 
some chilli paste, then on the other end I lined up the 
pickles and the ham. 

Start to roll. I prefer to roll with hands than with the sushi 
rolling mat. This way, I can feel the whole thing as I'm 
rolling to make sure everything's compressed/tight! 
Nah, who am I kidding - I've tried using the 
rolling mat several times, I just couldn't get it right.




Then slice slice slice!


I can't post the video because I don't know how to mute the extremely loud train passing in the background, so I took screenshots of the video and made it into another video 
so you can 
see me rollliinnggg and sliccinnnggg...tryin to catch me rollin sushi 
HAH!! 


And voilá! First plate done.


Then I made another two! This is exactly 15 rolls. The rice was very soft. I loved the combination of the pickles and the ham - the ham was soft, and the pickles were crunchy. The pickles were a little sweet, the ham salty and then there was a little tang of spicy from the chilli paste. 
Yeaaaahh it's a party in the ta-aste buds!


#ForthesakeofART

the struggle behind the lens: 

***
yesterday's birthday lunch
Mother dear prepared chicken biryani, grilled pork, spaghetti bolognese, salad
and three Filipino dishes (caldereta, pinakbit and laing)

Two other times I made kimbap this year: 
once in Iran (with tuna and egg)


and once in Nigeria (with ham, egg and pickled cucumbers)

So many songs in this post!