Sunday 31 July 2016

Crab Cakes

Growing up, we'd make cutlet at home once in a while - ground beef mixed with mashed potatoes, fried, then into a sandwich. Last year, a friend of mine in India told me that she sometimes mixes canned tuna with mashed potato, and fries it into a cutlet. I found this very interesting; I didn't think such a combo was possible! When I went to Iran this year, I decided to do a little experiment. There was crab meat in the freezer, left behind by my mom (don't ask me for how long). I went to google for ideas, and lo and behold I discovered that there's a name for this - "crab cakes!" I was actually disappointed because I thought I was inventing something. Anyways, I proceeded to make my first! I boiled some potatoes, mashed them, then mixed them with crab meat, shredded carrots, parsley, salt and pepper, and then some eggs. I got a handful and moulded them into round shapes, coated with some flour then fried. 



When the crab cakes were brownish, I took them out of the oil. Here it is - served with saffron rice, and I also squeezed a lot of lemon (after taking the picture - I love seafood with lemon/vinegar). 
This was absolute yumm! 



When my Dad joined me in Iran a month later, I told him about the crab cakes. He hadn't tried them before, so I was really exited to make them again. This time I moulded them into oval shapes, so that they'd fit perfectly in a baguette. 

This is what my sandwich looked like: with pickles, veggies (well, salad to be specific) and salad dressing :)